February 26, 2019

If you are a foreign worker injured on the job – even if undocumented – you have rights. Generally, injury law applies the same as if you were a citizen. However, having permission to work in the country and/or filing your taxes may affect whether or not you may claim lost income in an injury claim. Some companies or employers will encourage you to use an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to establish your earnings. You should speak with a tax professional (Certified Public Accountant or tax lawyer) about obtaining an ITIN or using an ITIN to file your taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has an online resource that explains how an ITIN may be used by immigrant workers. You can find an explanation of the ITIN on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin.

No worker, regardless of citizenship status, should suffer as a result of working for an honest living. If you suffered a work-related injury and you are not a U.S. Citizen, we can still pursue a claim on your behalf. Do not believe anyone that tells you that you that you must be an American citizen to have a right to file a claim!  Contact the attorneys of Waldman Legal Group now for a free consultation. Don’t go it alone – get the help you need to obtain the compensation you deserve when you are seriously injured in an on-the-job accident in Texas.

You have rights and I can help you protect them. Contact the Attorneys at Waldman Legal Group for a free consultation.