Houston Personal Injury Lawyers
Suffering a serious personal injury is a traumatic, devastating, and life-changing experience, but a Houston personal injury lawyer at the Waldman Legal Group can help you get compensation for your losses.
Personal injury involves physical and mental injuries to a person caused by someone else’s negligence. Victims of personal injury must deal with physical and emotional pain and trauma, as well as financial losses from medical, hospital, and rehabilitative bills. Other financial losses include the loss of income from being unable to work and replacing property damaged by an accident. While no amount of money can compensate for the suffering you face, it can alleviate your financial worries and allow you to concentrate on getting well and getting your life back on track.
If you live in Houston and have suffered an injury, or if a family member has died due to someone else’s negligence, contact the Waldman Legal Group immediately. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation. Get help now! Defend your rights. Defend your family. Call us today at (713) 688-4878.
Get Help Now!
Contact Us Today For a Free and Private Consultation
Personal Injury Lawyer Steve Waldman
Steve Waldman has worked on personal injury cases in the state of Texas since 1980. He became Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1986. He has been named a Thomson Reuters Texas Super Lawyer since 2011 and for 25 years has achieved the highest ranking of Martindale-Hubbell, awarded for his skill and professional ethics.
Steve Waldman has extensive litigation experience and has represented clients at the state and federal level in all types of litigation, including mediation. His leadership has contributed to compensation recovery and, more importantly, justice for his clients. Read Full Attorney Bio
How Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Texas personal injury law is complicated, and making mistakes can be costly. Our Houston personal injury lawyer will ensure that everything is done correctly to fight for the compensation you deserve.
When you contact Waldman Legal, we start to work right away by:
- Investigating the accident scene and gathering evidence, such as surveillance videos, and police and medical reports
- Interviewing witnesses, police officers, and first responders
- Filing all paperwork in accordance with Texas court requirements and deadlines
- Hiring experts to reconstruct how the accident occurred and who was at fault
- Utilizing experts to testify as to how your injuries impact your life, your family, and your ability to work now and in the future
- Handling all dealings and negotiating with insurance companies and their attorneys, who will attempt to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible
- Taking your case to trial and advocating for you in front of a jury if necessary.
Don’t delay: Texas codes impose a statute of limitations — which is a deadline for filing a lawsuit — that is two years from the date of the accident. If you do not file on time, the courts are not likely to hear your case. Call the Waldman Legal Group now while evidence is fresh and witnesses can be located.
Call our Houston personal injury lawyers today at (713) 688-4878 so we can get started on your case.
Damage Awards a Personal Injury Attorney May Win for You
In a successful Texas personal injury lawsuit, our personal injury lawyers can win an award that covers the losses you suffered, which are called damages.
There are two types of Texas personal injury damages: compensatory and exemplary (punitive). Compensatory damages are awarded with the idea of making the plaintiff whole and include both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages – These cover your expenses that have an actual dollar value, such as:
- medical and rehabilitative bills
- lost wages and earning capacity
- property damage.
Non-economic damages – These are for damages that negatively affect your life but don’t have a specific monetary value, such as:
- pain and suffering
- loss of companionship or consortium
Exemplary damages – These are punitive damages and may be awarded in some rare cases in addition to compensatory damages. They are meant to punish the wrongdoer for egregious behavior such as fraud, malice, or gross negligence, and to deter similar wrongdoing by others. In Texas, exemplary damages are hard to get, and there are statutory caps on exemplary damages in personal injury cases.
“I want to say, deciding to go with the Waldman Legal Group as my lawyer was the best decision made. “
“They are excellent and really go above and beyond for their clients!!”
“Excellent case management. Steve Waldman stays right on top of the case through settlement.”
Personal Injury Legal Process
Amounts of Damage Awards in a Personal Injury Case
The amount of damages awarded for personal injury can vary greatly, from thousands to millions of dollars, depending on the circumstances of the individual case. Factors that will be considered include:
- the severity and permanence of your injuries
- whether you will need continuing care
- the circumstances of the accident
- the amount of property damage and the costs you incur
- whether a death was involved
- the evidence that is available to prove your case and the defendant’s negligence
- the availability of insurance and assets of the defendants
- the individual judge and jury involved
- how well your attorney can negotiate a settlement or litigate your case.
Be aware that insurance companies are out for their own profit and will attempt to get you to settle for as little as possible or even trick you into saying something that can be used against you. Our attorneys know the tactics they use and are fully prepared to combat them and negotiate aggressively for a fair settlement. Let us handle all dealings with insurers, who are likely to take your case more seriously once they know you have an attorney on your side who is willing to take your case to trial.
Our Personal Injury Attorneys Must Typically Prove Negligence
To win your case, our Houston personal injury attorneys must typically prove that another party (the defendant) was negligent or at fault for causing the injuries you received.
Proving negligence legally means showing the following elements exist:
- Duty: The defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach: The defendant breached this duty by actions or failure to act.
- Cause: This breach caused the accident and your resulting injuries.
- Damage: You suffered damages as a result.
Everyone has a duty of care to act responsibly to avoid harming others. Examples of breaching duty and causing harm include:
- A drunk driver ran a red light and hit a bicyclist.
- A car had defective brakes which failed, resulting in a crash.
- A property owner failed to fix a broken stair railing, and someone fell.
- A surgeon amputated the wrong limb.
Cases Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Handles
Our personal injury lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group handle a wide range of personal injury cases, fighting to collect financial compensation from the party that caused you harm.
- Vehicle accidents
- Slip-and-fall situations
- Premises liability actions
- Dog bites and dog attacks
- Product defects and product liability claims
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death.
We also help with work injuries and workers’ compensation claims if you have been injured at work, as well as claims for unpaid overtime.
When a Personal Injury Case Becomes a Wrongful Death Case
When a personal injury results in death of a loved one, Texas law allows parents, children, and spouses of decedents, or the estate executor, to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. This is like a personal injury case brought when a party’s wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or fault causes an injury that results in the death of another person.
Survivors may recover actual damages, such as damages for the lost income of the decedent, emotional pain and mental anguish, loss of companionship, loss of inheritance, and loss of care, support, advice, and counsel. Exemplary damages may also be available in some rare cases.
No matter what the situation, our Waldman Legal Group attorneys know how to build strong cases that take into account all of your expenses and damages. Call us today so we can get started working for you.