Have you or someone you love been hurt by a product that was not as safe as it should have been? If so, our Houston product liability lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, will help you file a product injury lawsuit.
A Product Liability Lawsuit Protects Your Rights
When we take a medicine prescribed by a doctor, we expect it to help us — not hurt us. When we are in a car accident, we expect the airbag to deploy as it was designed to do.
When we put a newborn in a crib, we expect it will protect the baby, not cause harm.
We expect products we buy to meet certain standards of safety. Unfortunately, defective products do make it into the marketplace. This includes products that are designed to provide greater safety.
A person who has been hurt from the use of an unreasonably dangerous product may have a claim against the manufacturer.
The product liability lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, are currently investigating or litigating cases concerning several dangerous products and medical devices. Some are still on the market for consumer purchase or use. Others are being studied and closely followed for their hazardous or unreasonably dangerous nature. And still others have already been subject to manufacturer recalls.
If a product has hurt you, even though you used it correctly, call the injury lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, to discuss your product liability case. Call (713) 688-4878 to book your free initial consultation.
Will a Product Injury Lawsuit Help Me Pay My Bills?
At the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, we understand how a product injury affects victims and their families. You may be suddenly unable to work and without a much needed income. At the same time, you may have medical bills on top of your normal household expenses. A product injury lawsuit can help you get the money you need to put your life back on track.
We can help you win damages — or money — for all of your losses. This includes economic and non-economic losses. Here are a few examples of the types of damages you can receive.
- All medical bills and expenses. This includes hospitalization, medications, medical devices, therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost income and lost earning capacity
- Cost of household services (like cleaning help) needed because of your injuries
- Property loss or damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship and consortium.
Our product liability lawyers are committed to protecting your best interests. We will very carefully figure out the total cost of your losses including future expenses. We will fight to win you the maximum amount possible for your case.
What Does the Texas Product Liability Act Mean for My Product Liability Lawsuit?
In our state, consumers are protected by the Texas Product Liability Act, which was passed in 1993. Under this statute, product liability is considered a strict liability offense. In most personal injury cases, negligence must be proven for the injured party to receive damages. However, in strict liability cases a manufacturer may be found liable in a product liability case even if they were not negligent.
Your Houston product liability attorney must prove a couple of things:
- That the defect in the product led to your injury
- That a safer design alternative was available.
A “safer design alternative” is one that is feasible, economically and technologically, one which prevents or greatly reduces the risk to the consumer and does not meaningfully affect the usability of the product.
There are three general types of product defects under Texas state law.
- Design defect: a defect in the design of the product causes harm even if there were no problems in its production.
- Manufacturing defect: a manufacturing defect is usually a quality control or production issue. It may affect just products from a certain lot or those produced within a certain time frame.
- Failure to warn: this may be a failure on the part of the manufacturer to provide a warning label. Or it may be a failure to provide instructions on how to use the product.
We would like to trust that all products sold to consumers are safe. We would like to believe that all products used in medical procedures heal, not harm. The truth is that many products marketed as safe for consumer use end up causing very serious injury.
Our attorneys have a deep understanding of Texas liability laws and will be happy to discuss how they apply to your case. Call us for your free consultation at (713) 688-4878.
Why Do I Need a Houston Defective Product Lawyer?
A product liability claim is not something you want to face on your own. The laws regulating these cases are extremely complex, and you need someone on your side who understands your rights. Here are a few ways a defective product lawyer will help your case.
- First of all, we will be able to tell you whether you have a legitimate claim.
- We will track down every responsible party.
- We will calculate the full amount of your losses so you are not shortchanged.
- We are tough negotiators who will fight to win you the money you deserve.
We will not be paid unless you are, so you have nothing to lose by calling us.
What Claims Will a Houston Product Liability Attorney at the Waldman Law Group Handle?
Our lawyers are experienced with a wide range of product liability cases. They have a deep understanding of the federal and Texas laws governing these claims. Here is a sample of the types of cases we’ve successfully handled for our clients.
- Harmful drugs: prescription medications must be approved by the FDA before they become available to consumers. If you are hurt by a medication but there was an FDA-approved warning label on the product, the manufacturer may not be held liable. However, it is not uncommon for problems to emerge after the drug has been widely prescribed. If you are hurt by a risk unknown to the FDA, you may have a case. Also, if manufacturers recommend a medication for an off-label use and that causes injury, they may be held liable.
- Dangerous medical devices: like medications, medical devices must be approved by the FDA. Unfortunately, as with drugs, sometimes they cause harm in unforeseen ways.
- Motor vehicle and auto part defects: for the safety of yourself, your family, and the general public, it is important for all vehicles on the road to be safe. But cars and trucks have many different parts. Any one of them can have a defect due to design or the manufacturing process. They may also be installed incorrectly. This makes your vehicle a ticking time bomb even if you follow maintenance recommendations.
- Children’s products: babies and young children are extremely vulnerable to injury or death if a product is defective. Toys meant to entertain them may have small parts that break off and create a choking hazard. Cribs may have bars that present the danger of strangulation. Tall furniture may tip over and crush little kids. A product not intended for children may look appealing to little ones, who may eat it and suffer injury.
What Should I Do — and Not Do — If I’ve Been Harmed by a Product?
How you handle the aftermath of your product injury can impact the outcome of your case. Here are a few things you should do and not do after you have been hurt by a product.
- Get medical attention: your health and well-being should be your top priority. Be sure to see a doctor right away. This is also important because it creates documentation of your injuries that we will need for your case later on.
- Keep all evidence: document your injuries. Take pictures and write down what happened. If relevant, like in a motor vehicle wreck, photograph the scene and damage. Get names and contact information for any witnesses who may be able to provide evidence for your case. If possible, preserve packaging, wrapping, and receipts for the defective product. Keep everything organized and in one place.
- Call one of our Houston product liability lawyers right away: These cases have a two-year statute of limitations. But don’t wait until the deadline — it is important to get started on a claim well ahead of time. The sooner you hire an attorney the quicker they will be at helping you preserve all of the evidence and protect your rights.
Think You Have a Product Liability Case? Call the Product Liability Lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group.
If you or your loved one has been injured by a product in Houston, the attorneys at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, will fight to make sure your rights are protected.
We have extensive experience advocating for clients who have been injured by many different types of products. We have a track record of successful outcomes. Maybe you’ve been hurt by a drug or a medical device. Maybe you were injured in a car accident caused by a defective part. Or, heartbreakingly, maybe your child was harmed by a product that was supposed to protect him or her.
Our injury lawyers have a thorough understanding of product liability law. We are motivated by compassion and a desire to help. We will devote our full attention and every necessary resource to your product liability lawsuit. Call us today at (713) 688-4878.