What Are Your Rights if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
In the last few years, there has been a growing number of people interested in bicycles (and motorcycles and other recreational vehicles), putting bicycle safety in the spotlight. Whether you are a weekend rider or daily commuter, drivers are expected to show the same respect to bicycles on the road as they do to other vehicles. Negligent motorists can still injure bikers who follow all safety rules, adversely impacting those riders and the ones they love. All it takes is a split second and you can be seriously injured for the rest of your life. Your ability to work will be compromised and you may no longer be able to support your family.
Unfortunately, when a bicycle accident occurs, it most likely will result in serious injuries that could potentially be life-threatening. If you are involved in a bike accident, you might need to go to the emergency room or undergo surgery, which can be expensive. This is why, if you are hurt in a bicycle accident or, if someone you know is hurt or killed, you should contact an experienced lawyer who can advise you of your rights and help you seek the financial compensation you may deserve. That is why our team can help you.
Our firm has experience representing victims in car and truck accidents involving:
- Failure to follow traffic laws, traffic lights, and signs
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while talking or texting on a cell phone
- Tractor-trailer negligence.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact the lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group. Attorney Steve Waldman or any of our lawyers will provide you with the legal guidance you need and the answers to any questions you may have about your case. Learn more below, and reach out to us for a Houston bicycle accident attorney.
Call us at 713-688-4878 for your free accident consultation today.
What Should You Do After a Bicycle Accident?
If you are involved in a serious bicycle accident in Houston, what are some of the steps you should take? There will be a lot of emotions going through your mind, and you may have a difficult time thinking clearly. It is critical to pause for a moment and take a deep breath. Then, follow these steps:
1. Call 911
You always need to call 911 to report a bicycle accident that has happened. Even though you might feel fine, the police always need to come to the scene. If you decide that you want to file a claim later, and there is no report from the accident, you will have a difficult time doing so. You always need to ask the police officers to come to the scene of your accident.
If you feel like you need emergency medical care, you should ask for it when you talk to the dispatcher. Bicycle accidents always have the potential to lead to serious injuries because you will not have any protection between you and the pavement. If you feel like you need emergency medical care, go ahead and ask for it.
2. Take Pictures and Videos
Next, you must make sure that you take pictures and videos of everything that happened during the accident. You use your phone to take pictures of any injuries you may have suffered. You could also take pictures of the location of your bicycle and the other vehicles that may have been involved. If you can take a video, that would be even better.
As long as you feel like you can do so safely, use your phone to take pictures and videos to preserve the evidence of the accident.
3. Be Honest with the Police Officers
When the police officers arrive, be honest with them about what happened. Try not to think about what they want you to say. Instead, you simply need to be honest and straightforward with them. The only thing you can do is tell them what happened in the accident from your perspective.
You may want to listen to what other people have to say as well, but do not get in a fight or argument with them. The police officer is only trying to do his or her job. Make sure you ask for a copy of the accident report before you leave. Remain at the scene of the accident until the police officers tell you it is fine to go.
4. Seek Medical Care
You always need to seek medical care following a bicycle accident. You might feel fine, but the adrenaline going through your body can cover up some serious injuries that you might have suffered. You need to see a doctor who can provide you with the medical care that you need.
Make sure the doctor is thorough when he or she runs tests and takes images. Once you are done with your visit to the doctor, ask for a copy of your medical records. You might need those medical records to support your claim later on.
5. Speak with a Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Finally, once you are sure there is a plan in place for your medical recovery, you need to schedule a case consultation with a Houston bicycle accident attorney. At Walman Legal, we would be happy to help you.
Our bicycle accident lawyers in Houston, TX, can review your case and see if you are deserving of compensation. Our bicycle accident attorneys have a significant amount of experience representing cyclists who have been involved in motor vehicle accidents and we can help you as well.
Contact us at 713-688-4878 for your free accident consultation today.
Why Choose Us?
At Waldman Legal, we understand that there are multiple options if you are looking for an attorney who can take your case and pursue compensation on your behalf. We believe that we are the best firm in the local area to represent you.
Some of the reasons why you should choose us include:
- Prior Case Results: You benefit from working with a law firm that has experience handling bicycle accidents. We have recovered significant amounts of money for previous clients, and we are confident in our ability to get justice for you.
- Experience: We have represented cyclists who have been injured in accidents in the local area, and we can lean on that experience when we fight for your rights and defend your interests. Not every personal injury lawyer has handled bicycle accidents, but we have.
- Client Reviews: We have plenty of positive client reviews that serve as a testament to the quality of the service that we provide. Ask as about our client testimonials to learn more about what it is like to work with us.
- Communication: You never have to worry about having a difficult time getting in touch with us. We will be in constant communication with you every step of the way, ensuring that you have the information you need to make the best decision possible for your case.
These are just a few of the many reasons why you should partner with Waldman Legal. If you have questions about injuries you may have suffered in a bicycle accident, reach out to us today.
Common Injuries Suffered in Bicycle Accidents
There are numerous types of injuries that someone may suffer in a bicycle accident. You do not have any protection between you and the road, so it is not unusual for people to suffer serious injuries in a bicycle accident.
A few examples of injuries that you may suffer if you are struck by a motor vehicle while riding a bicycle include:
- You could suffer serious bone fractures, such as a broken arm, a broken hip, or a broken leg.
- Many cyclists also suffer serious rib fractures, which can also place your lungs at risk.
- You may have suffered a serious brain injury (TBI), even if you were wearing a helmet.
- You could be diagnosed with a back injury or spinal cord injury.
- You might also suffer serious injuries involving your internal organs.
- You could be diagnosed with ligament or tendon damage.
- You might suffer road rash, which could leave you vulnerable to a serious infection.
All of these injuries have the potential to be serious, and some of them could even lead to complications that could last for the rest of your life. This is why it is critical for you to seek medical care as quickly as possible following a bicycle accident.
Then, once you have seen a doctor, reach out to us to schedule your case consultation.
How We Can Help You
There are plenty of ways we can help you if you have been involved in a bicycle accident. Some of the ways we can assist you and support your claim include:
- Collect Evidence: We can help you collect evidence that can support your version of the events and your accident claim. For example, we can ask for documents and depose witnesses related to the case.
- Expert Testimony: We have a large network of experts that we can call upon to help your case. For example, we can hire medical expert witnesses who can discuss the injuries you have suffered, and we can hire accident experts to recreate what happened.
- Negotiate with the Insurance Company: If an insurance company reaches out to you to offer you a settlement, we can negotiate with them on your behalf and make sure that you get a fair settlement offer.
- File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit: The insurance company has a limit to its liability; if your damages exceed their liability, we can file a bicycle accident lawsuit against the driver directly to recover additional compensation.
- Recover Damages: We can pursue compensation for a variety of damages, such as your property damage, medical expenses, emotional distress, and lost income.
We will do everything we can to secure a favorable settlement for you, but if we feel like you are not getting a fair settlement offer, we will encourage you to take the case to trial.
We always take the time to answer your questions before we move forward. Some of the most common questions people ask us about bicycle accidents include:
Will an Insurance Company Still Compensate Me If I Am Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
Yes. If you are not blamed for the accident, you can file a claim with the insurance company under the policy held by the other driver. All drivers are required to carry car insurance to operate a motor vehicle in Texas.
How Long Do I Have to File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Texas?
You typically have 2 years to file a bicycle accident claim in Texas. (*Always speak directly to a lawyer to learn the exact deadlines that apply to your potential claims.) The sooner after the crash that we are hired, the better – so be sure to reach out to us as soon as possible to schedule your case consultation.
Can I Just Settle with the Insurance Company on My Own?
If the insurance company reaches out to you to offer a settlement, you can certainly settle with them on your own; however, you are unlikely to recover the compensation you deserve. You need a lawyer who understands how much your accident is truly worth to make sure you recover the compensation you deserve.
How Much Money Can You Recover for Me in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
Every case is different, and there are a number of factors that will determine how much money we can recover on your behalf. Some of the factors include the severity of the accident, the medical expenses you have incurred, and any income that you might have lost.
Contact Waldman Legal for a Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyer
At the Waldman Legal Group, we always put our clients first, and we can do the same for you. It would be our honor to review your case and see if you are deserving of additional compensation.
Contact our office at 713-688-4878 to schedule a free accident consultation today.