When a doctor prescribes a medication that hurts you or someone you love, you may have a case for a drug injury lawsuit. At the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, of Houston, we have a proven track record of success representing and winning for our clients. For a free consultation with an experienced drug injury lawyer, call (713) 688-4878.
Our Houston Injury Lawyers Will Fight for Your Rights
There is no question that modern medicine saves lives every day. Today, we have access to prescription drugs that make us better and enable us to live free of pain, more than ever before. Unfortunately, drugs have the power to harm us in unimaginable ways. Pharmaceutical companies are for-profit entities that have been known to put profits over consumer safety. Far too many unsafe drugs do make it onto the marketplace, putting patients at risk.
The Houston drug injury lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC are currently investigating and litigating cases concerning several dangerous drugs. Most of these are still on the market causing irreparable harm. Others have been subject to FDA-required label changes or voluntary recalls or are being monitored for their dangerous effects.
Having a serious health problem takes a heavy physical and emotional toll. You depend on drug manufacturers to make drugs that help you. You depend on your doctor to prescribe the right medicine for your condition. When they fail in their duty, you pay the price.
If you believe you are the victim of a dangerous prescription drug, call the product liability lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group at (713) 688-4878. We will be happy to discuss your case and answer any questions you have about your drug injury lawsuit.
Will a Drug Injury Lawsuit Help Me Pay My Bills?
You take medications to improve your health, to finally live without pain and live your life more fully. So it is a devastating blow to be injured by a drug that was supposed to help you live a better life. You may have additional medical bills due to your injury. If you were working, you may have to stop. This can put you and your family in a financial bind.
Our lawyers can help you file a medication lawsuit. The purpose of such a claim is to ease the financial burden you may be under due to your injury. It is also a way to hold drug companies and other parties responsible for the harm that they have caused.
“Damages” is a legal term for the money you may recover in a lawsuit. If you have suffered a drug injury, you may get damages for both non-economic and economic losses. You may be compensated for the following types of losses:
- All medical costs related to your injury (including future losses)
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium.
How much money you receive will depend on a number of things, including your income before your injury, how long you will be out of work, and the cost of your medical expenses. Our medication injury attorneys in Houston will fight to win you the full amount you deserve.
Do I Need a Drug Injury Lawyer?
If you’ve been hurt by a dangerous drug, it is very important to hire an experienced drug injury lawyer to fight for your rights. After all, manufacturers and other responsible parties will have lawyers lined up to represent their rights. If you try to get justice on your own, you are at a serious disadvantage and can seriously hinder your case. Here are a few ways a medication injury lawyer will help your case.
- After speaking with you and hearing your story, we will be able to tell you whether or not you have a legitimate claim.
- We will conduct extensive research to uncover the cause of your injuries and who is to blame.
- In Texas, the laws governing these cases are very specific and require strict compliance. There are limitations on the type and amount of damages an injured individual or their family members can recover. There is specific evidence that you must have ready at or very close to the time you file a lawsuit. We understand the complex state and federal laws that govern these situations. We will use those laws to build a strong case in your favor.
- We will very carefully calculate the full extent of your losses. We want you to receive all of the money your injuries warrant.
- We will handle all of the paperwork, communications, and details of your case so you don’t have to. We will make sure every deadline is met.
- We will negotiate with the other side and stand up for your best interests.
- If we can’t come to an acceptable agreement through negotiations, we will help you bring your case to court.
- If the drug in question is the subject of a class action lawsuit, we will act as your local advocate and liaison.
You do not want to take on Big Pharma on your own. These powerful companies will not play fair and will do what it takes to protect their bottom line. The medication lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC take great pride in representing the little guy — and winning big.
Who Is Liable in a Medication Lawsuit?
There are several parties involved in getting a medication into your hands. Any one of them can potentially be held responsible for your injuries.
The FDA approves all medications before they become available to consumers. If a drug did receive FDA approval, and has an FDA-approved warning label on the package, then the maker is generally protected from a lawsuit. However, there are cases in which a manufacturer may be sued. Lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies fall into three general categories:
- Failure to warn/improper instructions: drug bottles and labels should clearly state instructions for proper use. If they don’t and you are injured as a result, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. In some cases, manufacturers actually market their products for an “off-label” use that has not been approved by the FDA. If this ends up hurting someone, that person may sue.
- Faulty drug design: if a drug causes more harm than good even though it was manufactured correctly, it has a problem with its design and an injured person may sue.
- Manufacturing defect: sometimes, something goes wrong during the manufacturing process. A manufacturing defect may affect only certain batches of the drug. If you are harmed by a manufacturing problem, you may have grounds for a lawsuit.
If a drug has a defect, a labeling problem, or is recommended for off-label use, it is likely to injure large numbers of people. This is why medications are often subjects of class-action lawsuits brought by drug injury lawyers. A class-action lawsuit is when many people come together to sue the manufacturer.
A defective medication falls in the category of product liability under Texas law. This means that consumers are protected by the Texas Product Liability Act of 1993. In other types of personal injury cases, the plaintiff must prove that their injuries were caused by the negligence of another party in order to receive damages. But product liability is categorized as a strict liability offense. This means the manufacturer may be found liable for a harmful product even if they were not negligent.
As the person who prescribed you the medication, your doctor holds a responsibility to warn you of any bad side effects. Your doctor also must make sure you understand how to properly use the drug. Doctors have been known to make blatant mistakes in their dosage or usage instructions, putting patients in harm’s way. If the doctor fails and you are harmed as a result, you may have grounds to sue. The medical facility where the doctor works may also be held liable for its employee’s actions.
A pharmacist is responsible for filling a prescription according to the doctor’s orders. If they fill the bottle with the wrong dosage or wrong medication altogether and you are hurt as a result, you may have grounds to sue.
As your drug injury lawyers in Houston, it is our job to track down who is responsible for your injuries. Call our office at (713) 688-4878 to schedule a free consultation.
Call the Medication Lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC
When we put a pill into our bodies, we trust that it will help us. We believe that it will make the pain go away, that it will restore our health, that it will heal the illness that is preventing us from living the life we want to live. Many drugs do just that.
Almost all drugs have some sort of side effects, and that is to be expected. But some medications end up doing much more harm than good, and that is not okay. Medications can be hugely profitable, and manufacturers have even been known to hide negative effects from the FDA in order to rush their product onto the market.
The medication lawyers at the Waldman Legal Group, PLLC, are committed to fighting for people injured by harmful drugs. We offer free initial consultations and will not be paid unless you win. To schedule an appointment at our Houston office, dial (713) 688-4878.